Thomas Scranton was born circa 1643 in Guilford, New Haven Colony. (Guilford is currently in New Haven County, Connecticut.) He was the second son and child of John Scranton and Joanna (last name unknown). He was a farmer who lived on his father’s lot.
Thomas married Deborah, daughter of William Dudley and widow of Ebenezer Thompson. Their children, born in Guilford, (and in no particular order) were:
- Samuel, born in the late 1600s; married Elizabeth Bishop, January 30, 1712; died March 18, 1750
- Hannah, born in the late 1600s; married Joseph Evarts, April 21, 1713
- Elizabeth, married John Lee
- Sarah, married John Evarts
There may have been more children, but I have very scant information on this family.
Deborah died in October 1681, and Thomas later married Elizabeth Goodrich or Griswold. He died on November 10, 1711. Thomas made his will on March 10, 1710, and it was exhibited in probate court November 30 – December 1, 1711. I don’t know where he was buried, but I’m sure it was in Guilford.
Samuel Scranton was the firstborn son & child of Thomas Scranton and Deborah (Dudley) Thompson, born in the later part of the 1600s in Guilford, New Haven County, Connecticut.
On January 30, 1712, Samuel married Elizabeth Bishop, daughter of John Bishop. (She was born on October 14, 1690.) Their children, all born in Guilford were:
- Elizabeth, born August 20, 1713; married Eliphalet Hall, January 1, 1735; died April 15, 1742.
- Thomas, born May 28, 1715; married Mary Parmalee, December 28, 1736.
- Hannah, born October 14, 1716; married Eleazar Evarts, either on January 29, 1739/40 (per the Barbour Collection) or on August 29, 1740 (per “A Genealogical Register of the Descendants of John Scranton”, compiled by Rev. Erastus Scranton).
- Samuel, born March 24, 1720; married Mary Fitch, March 5, 1747.
- Timothy, born May 1722; married Abigail Torrey, November 23, 1748; married Anna Fields, December 15, 1779; married Comfort Richmond, November 15, 1797.
- Abraham, born 1724; married Beulah Seward; married Eleanor Picket, May 10, 1757; died May 5, 1780.
- Sarah, born 1726; married Thomas Stone, June 17, 1747; died Jan 28, 1772.
- Lucy, born 1728; died December 7, 1736.
Samuel died on March 18, 1750. According to Find a Grave, he is buried at West Side Cemetery in Guilford, but there is no photograph of the stone, and the memorial shows a death date of March 25, 1750.